What travel concessions can persons with disabilities avail?
1) By Air –
Air India provides 50% concession of the basic fare in Economy cabin for persons suffering from
- Locomotor Disability to the extent of 80%
The following locomotor disabilities are covered under this concession- Paraplegia, Hemplegia, Cerebral palsy, severe cases of Poliomyelitis, Kyphosis, Muscular dystrophies, Amputees
- Persons with total Blindness- The concession would be allowed on production of a disability certificate from an authorized Government Hospital.
2) By Rail –
Persons with disabilities are given concessions on tickets by the Indian Railways and can avail the concession via a concession certification issued by Station Master. The concession certificate is granted on production of a disability certificate from an authorized Government Hospital.
The following persons with disabilities may avail the railways concession –
- Blind persons travelling alone or with escort – for any purpose
- Orthopedically Handicapped/ Paraplegic persons who cannot travel without escort – for any purpose
- Deaf and Dumb persons (both afflictions together in the same person) travelling alone or with an escort – for any purpose
- Mentally retarded persons who cannot travel without escort – for any purpose :
The rate of concession for persons with the above disabilities on the Indian Railways tickets are as follows –
- 75% in second, sleeper, first, AC chair car and AC 3 tier
- 50% in First class and AC 2 tier
- 25% in AC 3 tier and AC Chair Car of Rajdhani/Shatabdi trains
- 50% in Monthly Season Ticket and Quarterly Season Ticket
- One escort is also eligible for same element of concession
3) By Bus –
Under the Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation (“MSRTC”), blind and physically disabled persons can avail concessional tickets for non-ac bus seats at 75% concession and ‘Shivshahi’ bus seats at 70% concession.
Further, persons with disabilities of 65% and above as well as their escort can avail concessional tickets for non ac bus seat at 50% concession and ‘Shivshahi’ bus seats at 45% concession.
This can be availed on production of a disability certificate from an authorized government hospital.
4) Transport allowances for salaried government employees –
The Office Memorandum (O.M), dated 07.07.2017, by the Ministry of Finance, has provided ‘Recommendations of 7th Central Pay Commission relating to the grant of Transport Allowance to Central Government Employees’ including the allowance for persons with disabilities.
The O.M says that persons with physical disabilities, who are employed in Central • Government and have been provided with government accommodation within one km. of office or within the campus housing the place of work and residence are provided with transport allowances at double the normal rates.
The disabilities covered are as follows:
- Physically disabled employees as mentioned in
- Visually impaired
- Orthopedically handicapped
- Deaf and dumb/ hearing impaired
- Spinal deformity
The normal rates for Central Government employees are as follows –
|Employees drawing pay in Pay Level||Rate of allowance for employees posted in Cities as per Annexure||Rate of allowance for employees posted at all other Places|
|9 and above||Rs. 7200 + DA thereon||Rs. 3600 + DA thereon|
|3 to 8||Rs. 3600 + DA thereon||Rs. 1800 + DA thereon|
|1 and 2||Rs. 1350 + DA thereon||Rs. 900 + DA thereon|
DA – Dearness Allowance