Has the government taken any steps in order to provide certain additional facilities/amenities to the persons with disabilities who are already employed in government?
With a view to provide certain additional facilities/amenities to the persons with disabilities who are already employed in government, the Department of Personnel and Training, Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions, Government of India through Office Memorandum (OM) dated 31.03.2014, has issued guidelines for the same. This guideline is made applicable to all employees who are employed in Ministries/Departments of the Government of India, their attached and subordinate offices, Central Public Sector Enterprises, Cantonment Boards etc.
The following additional facilities/ amenities are extended to persons with disabilities:
- Identify jobs suitable for persons with disabilities
- Post recruitment and pre promotion training
- Providing aids and assistive devices
- accessibility and barrier free environment at work place
- Preference in Govrnment accommodation
- Grievance redressal
- Special Casual Leave
- Preference in transfer/posting
In order to promote employment of persons with benchmark disabilities in private sector is there a scheme in place?
The ‘Incentive scheme for Providing Employment to Persons with Disabilities (PWD) in the Private Sector’ has been recently revised in order to promote employment of PWD in private sector.
Under this scheme:
- The employers need not deposit the Employee Providend Fund (“EPF”) / Employees’ State Insurance (“ESI”) contribution in respect of their PWD employees. The employers just need to intimate the EPFO / ESIC regarding appointments made by them and furnish employee’s contribution to EPFO / ESIC. The employer’s contribution shall be deposited to the respective accounts of PWD employees by EPFO and ESIC. Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (“DEPWD”) shall make payment to EPFO / ESIC in advance.
- The scheme will be applicable to all persons with disabilities employed in the private sector irrespective of any salary / wage ceiling.
- The administrative charges applicable on EPF/ESI contribution (at the extant rates) shall be borne by the DEPWD.
- The Government shall pay the employer’s contribution to EPFO & ESIC for 10 yrs.
- One-third of the gratuity amount due and admissible to PWD employees which is required to be paid by the employers under the applicable provisions of the Gratuity Act, shall be borne by the DEPWD.
- In case a private employer engages PWDs as apprentices in a particular trade and employ them on completion of the apprenticeship period, the stipend during the apprenticeship period payable to the PWD shall be borne by the DEPWD.
To View Resources Available On Employment Benefits for Persons With Disabilities, click on the links below: